Thursday, November 6, 2008

Big E's Ales - Ellersick Brewing

My wife and I recently moved north from Seattle to Edmonds and started looking for a new place to patronize. We are brew pub people so we knew our search was going to be narrow. Diamond Knot was out because they don't allow kids (we don't mind taking our boy Porter to pubs), and Scuttlebutt is a little too far. It will come as no surprise that I was excited to find the Ellersick Brewery at this years Washington Brewers Festival.

The pub is in Lynnwood, underneath I-5 in a small industrial park. The brewpub is clean with a lively atmoshpere and you can peer through a large window at the brewing operation (and fooseball table tantalizingly out of reach.) The beers are well designed and far exceed the quality of the food. Below is my take on some of the brews:

IPA: Well balanced and not over hopped. Recommended.
Imperial IPA: Over 9% abv, and they'll only serve you a couple. Balanced even though it is heavily hopped and high in alcohol, it is reminiscent of the DFH 90 minute IPA. Must Buy.
Lawnmower Lager: Unremarkable, but certainly drinkable. Malty enough to make it interesting yet still crisp. Not offensive.

One negative note: the service, while friendly, leaves a lot to be desired. There always seems to be enough staff for the amount of patrons, but every time I've been in I've waited a long time for my beer. Even so, the quality of the beer, friendliness of the staff and the nice atmosphere will keep me going back.

No comments: